As a Senior UX Researcher at Openfield, you will be responsible for translating findings from observation and feedback into compelling recommendations and next steps that highlight user motivations and help stakeholders make decisions confidently. You will have strategic awareness of the product planning process so that you can advocate for the most effective and efficient ways to address research goals while minimizing bias. A great Researcher will feel comfortable questioning internal and external objectives, findings, and research interpretations to help create stronger research. They will also be constantly looking for ways to learn about and apply new research methodologies to elevate our process and work product.
At Openfield you will work closely with the Project Leads and other Researchers to create world class experiences for our clients. You will report to the Research Lead, but also work with the Design Lead.
- A background in Anthropology, Psychology, Sociology, or related field
- At least 4-7 years experience in a research role
- Understanding of User Experience design and/or product development
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding and working knowledge of the following:
- UX and user-centered design principles and processes
- Qualitative and quantitative methods
- Remote testing tools and usability testing software
- Strengths and weaknesses of different research methodologies
- Proven ability to mentor early to mid-level researchers and onboard others onto projects
- Manage high-level strategic activities for an entire product from discovery to delivery.
- Design and execute research studies designed to address product and user needs.
- Generative and evaluative research
- Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed-method studies
- Conduct face-to-face and remote research studies with individuals or groups.
- Identify and reduce bias in your study by:
- Choosing the strongest methodology and recruiting strategy
- Understanding attitudinal and behavioral research best practices
- Understanding the context and ecosystem of your product so that you avoid assigning disproportionate importance to feature-specific findings.
- Translate findings from observation and feedback into confident, product-specific research recommendations that inform design exploration, prioritization, and refinement.
- Be able to discuss the strength and priority of each recommendation along with opportunities for risk based on results from study.
- Manage and balance the demands of a workload that spans multiple products.
- Delegate and manage selected work to one or more researchers.
- Ensure the output meets the same quality standards you hold yourself to.
- Maintain a positive relationship with peers, clients, vendors, and engineering teams.
- Educate the team on research methodologies and work with them to widen their skills in the area of research.
- Collaborate with the Openfield leads to foster and evolve an inclusive culture.
- Help drive internal process improvements, including how to adapt to different client contexts to maximize workflow efficiency and quality
- Represent Openfield as experts in the UX, Research, and EdTech space.
- Contribute to the creation of Openfield content articles and case studies.
- Advocate for Openfield’s process when working with clients.
- Internalize research findings and relate them to client work.
Bonus (What will make us like you more)
- Experience with mixed method research design
- Understanding of statistical analysis
Traits that will make you the right fit for our culture:
- Meticulous & flawless in your craft
- Unafraid to voice your opinion
- Agile and adaptable
- Empathetic and approachable
- Reliable and dedicated
- Passionate about doing the best work possible
- Highly organized
- Able to work autonomously
- The person everyone wants to collaborate with